Upward Bound Math and Science
What is the Upward Bound Math & Science Program?
The IRSC UBMS program wants to help you learn and develop the skills that will increase your future options. Your academic success is important if you are thinking about going to college. Good students are made, not born–it takes hard work, practice, and commitment – and we will help you every step of the way!
What is Upward Bound?
Upward Bound is a federally funded TRiO program that helps to prepare students for success in higher education. The goal of Upward Bound is to increase the rate at which participating students complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education. Students begin participation in 9th grade. Services, activities and events will continue throughout their high school years.
Who is Eliglble?
65 talented students in the St. Lucie County school district will be chosen to participate from two target schools, Fort Pierce Central and Fort Pierce Westwood High Schools.
To be eligible students must:
- Be a citizen, national, or a permanent resident of the United States.
- Meet federal income guidelines (taxable income is used for determination).
- Be a potential first-generation college student (neither parent graduated from a 4-year college.)
What Services are Provided?
Upward Bound provides instruction in: math, laboratory science, foreign language, English composition, and English literature.
Other services include:
- Instruction in reading, writing, study skills, and other subjects necessary for success in education beyond high school.
- Academic, financial, or personal Counseling.
- Exposure to academic programs and cultural events.
- Tutorial services.
- Mentoring programs.
- Information on postsecondary education opportunities.
- Assistance in completing college entrance and financial aid applications.
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance exams.
- Saturday Academy.
- 6-week summer program
How do I Apply?
You may contact the Upward Bound Math/Science office at the IRSC main campus for an application packet.
If you meet the eligibility requirements for Upward Bound Math & Science, you will be interviewed by the Project Director and counselor.
NOTE: Students will receive a stipend for participating in certain program activities.
How Much Does it Cost to Participate?
Nothing!! — All program services and activities are provided at no cost to the student.
|Fall and Spring Semesters
|Monday – Thursday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
|Monday – Thursday 7:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.