National League of Nursing Online Pre-Admission Exam for PN/RN
This exam provides a common basis for the IRSC Nursing Department to evaluate the academic ability of perspective PN and RN students. The two-hour computerized exam is comprised of three parts: Verbal Ability (40 minutes/60 questions), Mathematics (40 minutes, 40 questions), and Science (40 minutes, 60 questions).
Building W—Crews Hall, Room W-109 Assessment Center, Main Campus, Fort Pierce.
The registration period for scheduling a Pre-Admission PN/RN Examination is open from April 9, 2020 through May 7, 2020. Candidates must register online for a testing session by 11:00 p.m. the day prior to their exam date. Available testing dates for this exam are:
Note: All testing dates are subject to change.
The deadline date for PN candidates has been extended to October 31, 2019 by the IRSC Nursing Department. This deadline extension is for any PN candidate who did not take the NLN Pre-Admission Exam in September 2019.
- Testing Date: November 5, 2019
- Registration Period: October 3, 2019 through October 31, 2019
- Deadline for Health Science Application for the PN Program: October 31, 2019
- Deadline for NLN Test Registration: October 31, 2019
How to Register
A National League for Nursing (NLN) account must be created before scheduling your testing appointment. Be sure to review the IRSC Guide to the NLN Testing Portal before you begin.
If you have an existing or new NLN account set-up and it has been verified, go to NLN examination portal to schedule your IRSC Pre-Admission PN/RN Exam. Advanced online registration (testing appointment) is required for this exam.
- Log into your NLN account and click on “Exam Sessions.”
- In the “School” box, select “Indian River State College” from the drop down menu.
- Find the exam session named “IRSC Pre-Admission PN RN Examination.”
- Click on the exam name to view available exam dates and times.
- Select a testing date and time.
- Click on the “Register” button.
- Click on the “Save Registration” button. If the registration is successful, you will see a green banner stating that your “Registration has been saved.”
- Scheduled exams are listed on the first page of your NLN dashboard (bottom right corner under “My Upcoming Exam”).
If you accidently register for two testing appointments, call NLN at 1-800-732-8656. Explain that you accidently registered for two NLN Pre-Admission Exams and that you need to cancel one of those appointments. You will need to provide them with your NLN username, the name of our College, the canceled test date and time and the correct test date and time.
If you need to reschedule your NLN testing date, NLN requires that you submit an NLN Testing Services Reschedule Request Form, available from the NLN homepage under Resources, at least 14 days prior to your exam date. NLN charges a $25 rescheduling fee for this service. If it is less than 14 days, contact Steven Daniello at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional Registration Information
- No test registrations will be accepted after May 7, 2020.
- No IRSC RN or PN Nursing program applications will be accepted after May 7, 2020. A new application is required for each registration period.
- The receipt for the Health Science Application (required for IRSC RN and PN program) must be paid between January 6, 2020 and May 7, 2020.
- The receipt for the NLN Pre-Admission Exam fee must be paid between January 6, 2020 and May 7, 2020. This fee can be paid at any campus.
- Students should only register for one test session. Multiple test registrations will be voided.
- After scheduling your NLN Pre-Admission Exam, you will immediately see the message “Your registration has been saved.” Also on your NLN Dashboard, in the bottom right corner, you will see your testing date confirmation.
- Missing your scheduled testing session or arriving late will forfeit your chance to take the NLN Pre-Admission PN/RN Examination.
- All exam fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- All RN and PN candidates must take the NLN Pre-Admission PN/RN Exam.
- All NLN score reports will be automatically sent to the Indian River State College Nursing Department.
NLN Frequently Asked Questions
Students need to apply to the IRSC Nursing Program, make their testing appointment and pay for both the IRSC Heath Science Application Fee and the NLN Testing Fee by the published deadline date.
The NLN Pre-Admission Examination is a 2-hour, computerized test.
- Verbal – Word knowledge and reading comprehension
- Math – Basic calculations, word problems, algebra, geometry, conversions, graphs and applied math
- Science – General biology, chemistry, physics and earth science
There are 160 questions on the NLN-Pre-Admission Examination.
- Verbal - 60 questions
- Math - 40 questions
- Science - 60 questions
- Verbal - 40 minutes
- Math - 40 minutes
- Science - 40 minutes
Students applying for the Indian River State College Nursing Program will be able to take the NLN Pre-Admission Exam once during the fall semester and once during the summer semester. Testing dates are posted on the website.
On the day of your scheduled test, you will need to bring:
- A valid photo ID (broken, cut, taped or expired IDs are not acceptable)
- Your paid receipts for both the NLN Testing Fee and the IRSC Health Science Application
- Your NLN User ID and password
- If you have accidently registered for two NLN Pre-Admission Exam sessions, call NLN at 1-800-732-8656.
- Explain that you accidently registered for two testing sessions and that you need to cancel one of them.
- You will need to provide them with your NLN username, the testing site (Indian River State College) and your exams dates.
- Have NLN confirm that you are scheduled for the date/time you want to keep, then ask to cancel the second unwanted appointment.
- Since you are canceling a testing date/time, there is no form or fee required.
- If you need to reschedule your testing date, NLN requires that you submit a “NLN Testing Services Reschedule Request Form” at least 14 days prior to your exam date. There is a $25 rescheduling fee for this service.
- If it is less than 14 days, contact the Director of Assessment Services, Steven Daniello at email@example.com.
The testing fee for this exam is $75.00 (includes $39 exam plus $36 administrative/proctoring fee). After making your NLN testing appointment online, you will pay the $75.00 fee directly to the IRSC Cashier. You will not pay the testing fee online to NLN. This fee can be paid in cash, by check or credit card. The $75.00 fee can be paid any time before your testing session.Note: both the NLN Pre-Admission Testing Fee and the IRSC Health Science Application Fee are non-refundable.
Exam Day Information
- Bring a valid photo ID. (Broken, cut, taped or expired ID’s are not acceptable.) The name on the ID must match the name on your IRSC application and your NLN account.
- Bring your NLN username and password to the testing center on test day. You will not be able to test without it! If you need help with your NLN username and password, contact NLN at 1-800-732-8656 before your testing date.
- Bring your paid NLN testing fee and IRSC RN/PN (Health Science) Application receipts to the Assessment Center on test day.
- Calculators will be provided. No outside calculators are permitted.
- Scratch paper and pencils will be provided. All scratch paper must be turned in to the proctor before leaving the testing room.
- Disposable earplugs are provided
All NLN score reports are automatically sent to the Indian River State College Nursing Department.
Only one attempt per registration period is permitted (i.e. one attempt in the fall and one attempt in the summer). All multiple attempts will be voided without a refund. NLN Pre-Admission PN/RN Exam scores are valid for one year.