Dental hygienists work with dentists to help patients maintain and improve their oral health and quality of life. They examine the mouth; scale, root plane, clean and polish teeth; and expose and interpret x-rays.
Once You Complete the Program
Students completing their IRSC degree can expect to take the Dental Hygiene National and State Licensure Board examinations and seek employment in a private dental office, public health agency, school system, hospital or clinic.
The Dental Hygiene program is a selective-admissions program. Students are selected based on criteria outlined in the Dental Hygiene Application Book.
For more information, contact:
Dental Hygiene Program Information Sessions
Free information sessions are held periodically throughout the year. Upcoming sessions:
- 06/21/2021 - Dental Hygiene Information Session
- 09/20/2021 - Dental Hygiene Information Session
- 10/18/2021 - Dental Hygiene Information Session
- 11/15/2021 - Dental Hygiene Information Session
Applying to the Dental Hygiene Program
The application for the Summer 2021 program will be available after January 4, 2021.
Google Chrome is the preferred web browser to use when completing your applications.
- Current/returning students: Log into MyPioneerPortal with your IRSC RiverMail address and your password. Login to confirm that your IRSC admissions (transcripts, residency, New Student orientation and holds) are completed prior to the application deadline date.
- New students: complete the IRSC Online Application for Admission.
- On the Admission Application Instructions webpage, click on the blue SIGN IN button.
- If you have not submitted a health science application for the 2020-2021 school year (July 2020 to
present), you will need to select Create Account at the bottom of the Sign In box.
- You will need to check your email for the address provided to verify the account before signing in. Please check both the junk/spam and inbox folders for this email. The email will be from IRSC Workday.
- Once you have clicked on the link or copied and pasted it in a new web browser, sign in to the Health Science Application Portal.
- If you have submitted a health science application for the 2020-2021 school year (July 2020 to present), sign in using the email address provided when you created the account (this will NOT be your RiverMail or Pioneer Portal sign in).
- On the Admissions Application Instruction webpage, select Health Science Associate Application (Degree, Diploma, Technical Certificate).
- Click on the blue Apply Now.
- Once you complete all of the questions, select Pay Now in blue to submit the $30 application fee.
- A new screen will open to enter you payment information. SAVE YOUR RECEIPT.
Go back to the application screen (in a different tab/window) and click the blue NEXT button. Check the box next to the acknowledgement and click on the blue SUBMIT button.
To complete an in-progress application, return to the Health Science Admissions Application site and sign into your account using the Sign In Button at the top right corner of the page with the credentials you created when you submitted your application. Once you’re signed in, select the application type of the application you started under Admissions on the right. You’ll see your in-progress application under Your Applications with a status of Not Submitted. Click on the link to complete it.
To review your application status, return to the Health Science Admissions Application site and sign into your account using the Sign In Button at the top right corner of the page with the credentials you created when you submitted your application. Once you’re signed in, select the application type of the application you started under Admissions on the right. You’ll see your submitted application under Your Applications – click on it to see actions required.
The Indian River State College Dental Hygiene program is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation.
IRSC Dental Clinic and Services
The Dental programs at IRSC offer dental services for individuals seeking dental care. Services are available to patients of all ages and are by appointment only. IRSC Dental Assisting and Dental Hygiene students are in training under the direction of experienced and licensed faculty which may result in longer appointment times. Services are offered at reduced prices. For more information or to make an appointment, please contact the IRSC Dental Clinic 772-462-7529.
Additional Program Information
This is a national organization which supplements and complements the health occupations education curriculum. HOSA provides students in secondary, postsecondary and collegiate programs with opportunities to develop personal, leadership and career skills needed by healthcare providers. HOSA helps develop the total person, not just job-specific skills. The rapidly changing healthcare system needs workers who are technically skilled, people-oriented and capable of accepting leadership positions as a member of a team. Learn more.
Academic Plan/Guided Pathway for Dental HygieneTo view and print an Academic Plan/Guided Pathway, double-click on the program title.
For course descriptions, see the College Catalog.Academic Plans/Guided Pathways are recommended sequences of courses and prerequisites needed to complete your degree. It is a general suggestion for when to take your courses; it is not a course schedule. Students should meet with their advisors to make appropriate course selections. The Academic Plans/Guided Pathways listed below are for the current academic year. Students should consult with their advisors for plan requirements specific to their academic year.
Associate of Science
With an Associate of Science Degree from IRSC, you’ll be well-prepared for a professional career as a dental hygienist.