Health Information Technology
Health information technicians enjoy rewarding careers in healthcare and cutting-edge information technology. They are trained to accurately compile, analyze and maintain medical records consistent with the healthcare industry’s numerical coding system.
Once You Complete the Program
Graduates earning an A.S. Degree in Health Information Technology take the Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) exam and seek employment with a hospital, outpatient surgery center, clinic, physician’s office or government agency. Some technicians even work from home.
The Health Information Technology program is a selective admission program. Students are selected based on criteria outlined in the Health Information Technology Application Book.
For more information, contact:
Health Information Technology Program Information Sessions
Students interested in the Health Information Technology program, must view the online information/orientation video.
Applying to the Health Information Technology Program
The application for the Fall 2021 program will be available after January 4, 2021.
Google Chrome is the preferred web browser to use when completing your applications.
- Current/returning students: Log into MyPioneerPortal with your IRSC RiverMail address and your password. Login to confirm that your IRSC admissions (transcripts, residency, New Student orientation and holds) are completed prior to the application deadline date.
- New students: complete the IRSC Online Application for Admission.
- On the Admission Application Instructions webpage, click on the blue SIGN IN button.
- If you have not submitted a health science application for the 2020-2021 school year (July 2020 to
present), you will need to select Create Account at the bottom of the Sign In box.
- You will need to check your email for the address provided to verify the account before signing in. Please check both the junk/spam and inbox folders for this email. The email will be from IRSC Workday.
- Once you have clicked on the link or copied and pasted it in a new web browser, sign in to the Health Science Application Portal.
- If you have submitted a health science application for the 2020-2021 school year (July 2020 to present), sign in using the email address provided when you created the account (this will NOT be your RiverMail or Pioneer Portal sign in).
- On the Admissions Application Instruction webpage, select Health Science Associate Application (Degree, Diploma, Technical Certificate).
- Click on the blue Apply Now.
- Once you complete all of the questions, select Pay Now in blue to submit the $30 application fee.
- A new screen will open to enter you payment information. SAVE YOUR RECEIPT.
Go back to the application screen (in a different tab/window) and click the blue NEXT button. Check the box next to the acknowledgement and click on the blue SUBMIT button.
To complete an in-progress application, return to the Health Science Admissions Application site and sign into your account using the Sign In Button at the top right corner of the page with the credentials you created when you submitted your application. Once you’re signed in, select the application type of the application you started under Admissions on the right. You’ll see your in-progress application under Your Applications with a status of Not Submitted. Click on the link to complete it.
To review your application status, return to the Health Science Admissions Application site and sign into your account using the Sign In Button at the top right corner of the page with the credentials you created when you submitted your application. Once you’re signed in, select the application type of the application you started under Admissions on the right. You’ll see your submitted application under Your Applications – click on it to see actions required.
Health Information Technology Program Graduate Outcomes
The cumulative graduation rate for the students admitted to the Health Information Technology program for the class of 2017 was 83%; the cumulative pass rate for the Registered Health Information Technician Exam (RHIT) for the class of 2017 was 80%; and the employment rate for graduates of the Health Information Technology program for the class of 2017 is 75%.
Health Information Technology Program Accreditation
The IRSC Health Information Technology program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). Graduates of the program are eligible to take the AHIMA Registered Health Information Technician exam to become a Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT).
Additional Program Information
This is a national organization which supplements and complements the health occupations education curriculum. HOSA provides students in secondary, postsecondary and collegiate programs with opportunities to develop personal, leadership and career skills needed by healthcare providers. HOSA helps develop the total person, not just job-specific skills. The rapidly changing healthcare system needs workers who are technically skilled, people-oriented and capable of accepting leadership positions as a member of a team. Learn more.
Academic Plans/Guided Pathways for Health Information TechnologyTo view and print an Academic Plan/Guided Pathway, double-click on the program title.
For course descriptions, see the College Catalog.Academic Plans/Guided Pathways are recommended sequences of courses and prerequisites needed to complete your degree. It is a general suggestion for when to take your courses; it is not a course schedule. Students should meet with their advisors to make appropriate course selections. The Academic Plans/Guided Pathways listed below are for the current academic year. Students should consult with their advisors for plan requirements specific to their academic year.
Associate in Science
Gain management and technical skills in many high-demand career fields, with the option to continue toward a Bachelor’s Degree at IRSC. Students interested in virtual learning may complete the Health Information Technology Associate in Science Degree program entirely online.*
*One of 15 degree programs with courses that can be completed online through the IRSC Global. At least one proctored assessment is required for each online course. Some programs may also require the student to complete a practicum experience.