Health and Wellness Center
Programs and facilities of the Indian River State College Health and Wellness Center are focused on providing a comprehensive approach to good health and well-being. The wide range of programs, superior facilities and professional staff will help you get involved in many areas of lifestyle improvement.
The Center offers personal wellness classes, computerized nutritional analysis and lifestyle assessments, and a health resource library featuring books, pamphlets, and audio tapes and videos on topics such as common illnesses, as well as an electronic database describing medical procedures and medications.
Personal Health Counseling
The IRSC Health and Wellness Center offers individual counseling and group presentations that emphasize health enhancement and disease prevention. Health education and guidance is provided in the areas of nutrition, weight control, relaxation techniques, stress reduction, smoking cessation and exercise.
All personal counseling is confidential and by appointment only.
A registered nurse is available during posted health services hours. The College nurse can provide treatment for minor illnesses, injuries and emergency care; individual counseling; health information; and referral.
Student Health Insurance
Information on independent insurance providers that provide health, dental, vision and prescription coverage to students is available in the Health and Wellness Center and at all satellite campuses. Insurance is available through Insurance for College Students, LLC (contact Michael or Wendy Gold at 800-971-3921). Insurance for international students can be found at https://www.internationalstudentinsurance.com/.
Test Anxiety Screening
Many students have the ability to do well on exams, but sometimes they experience a high level of anxiety. Schedule an appointment with the Health and Wellness Center to learn how to avoid letting emotions interfere with logic, and find ways to have and maintain a positive perspective.
Online Health Resources
- American Heart Association (AHA) Physical Activity Tips—discover the right exercise program to improve your cardiovascular fitness and a wealth of information about physical fitness in general.
- Ask The Dietitian—find answers to all types of diet and nutrition questions, and learn about caffeine, food allergies, diabetic exchanges, food safety, junk food, sports nutrition, vitamins and minerals. Calculate your weight range and body-mass index using the Healthy Body Calculator.
- Calm Harm provides tasks, using these activities: Comfort, Distract, Express Yourself, Release, Random and Breathe, to help you resist or manage the urge to self-harm.
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- The Inner Truth Project—a nonprofit organization based in Port St. Lucie that provides a safe and therapeutic environment for survivors of sexual violence.
- NCADV—National Coalition Against Domestic Violence
- NIDA—National Institute on Drug Abuse
The Health and Wellness Center is located in Building U on Massey Campus. Contact us at 772-462-7825 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall and Spring Semesters
Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Monday through Thursday 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., closed Friday