Ombudsman / Student Advocate
Indian River State College has an Ombudsman/Student Advocate Office which helps students to understand College policies and procedures, facilitates communication, and assists in conflict resolution apart from engagement in the College's formal grievance procedures.
The Ombudsman/Student Advocate Office provides an initial point of contact to ensure student concerns and appeals regarding issues such as student access to courses, credit granted toward a degree, and other matters are referred to the appropriate department to be resolved in a prompt, efficient and impartial manner. Through the Ombudsman/Student Advocate Office, IRSC seeks to ensure that all students are treated in a fair and equitable manner.
The Ombudsman/Student Advocate assists students by:
- Listening and helping to resolve student concerns or complaints
- Clarifying College policies and procedures
- Answering questions
- Referring issues and concerns to the appropriate department or office
- Helping define available options
- Recommending revisions in College policies and procedures when appropriate
- Maintaining open and constructive communications
- Providing students with information and notification regarding opportunities for assistance and appeal, including the College's formal grievance procedures
All students are encouraged to work through the Ombudsman/Student Advocate and the internal complaint and appeal process provided by Indian River State College. However, if students feel further investigation is warranted, they can contact The Florida College System (FCS) at http://www.fldoe.org/policy/cie/file-a-complaint.stml.
Distance Education students who have completed an applicable internal institutional grievance process and applicable state grievance process may also appeal non-instructional complaints to the FL-SARA PRDEC Council. For additional information on the complaint process, visit FL-SARA Complaint Process.
Contact the Office of Student Affairs
The IRSC Director of Student Development serves as the Ombudsman/Student Advocate, and is accountable to the President and Vice President of Student Affairs.
The Office of Student Affairs is located in the River Commons (KSU) Building, Room 112 on Main Campus in Fort Pierce.