HESI A2 Admissions Assessment Exam
The HESI A2 Admissions Assessment Exam is a computerized test used by the IRSC Nursing Department to assess the academic ability of perspective PN and RN students. The HESI A2 is a multiple-choice exam consisting of six sections (Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary and General Knowledge, Basic Math, Biology, Anatomy and Physiology, and a Learning Style Inventory) and it takes approximately 4 hours to complete. Only students who are applying to an IRSC Nursing Program should register for this test. Please note, that NLN scores are no longer being accepted for admission into the nursing programs by the IRSC Nursing Department.
As a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, and for the safety of our students and staff, the HESI A2 will not be administered in person at IRSC. Instead, all applicants will take the HESI A2 exam remotely with ProctorU, a remote proctoring service. A desktop computer or laptop, a working webcam and microphone, and a stable internet connection is required for this exam. For more detailed information concerning the technical requirements for the HESI A2 please visit https://www.proctoru.com/portal/elsevier-hesi.
All students applying to the IRSC R.N. OR P.N. Nursing Program
- Submit their Health Science Application by May 6, 2021
- Schedule their HESI A2 exam between April 5, 2021 and May 6, 2021
- Complete their HESI A2 exam between May 10, 2021 at 8:00 a.m. and May 13, 2021 by 5:00 p.m. (The last exam on May 13, 2021, must be started by 11:00 a.m.)
Virtual HESI A2 Exam Information Session:
On January 29, 2021, the Assessment Services Department hosted an optional Virtual HESI A2 Information Session for students who submitted their Health Science Application to the Nursing Department for the Advanced Placement program. This session included general information about the HESI A2 exam, with a heavy emphasis on testing day tips. Listed below is a link to the recording of that session:
HESI A2 Frequently Asked Questions
The HESI A2 Exam is approximately 3 hours and 45 minutes, excluding breaks. A 5-minute break is allowed between each section of the test, but a photo ID check and room scan will be required prior to preceding to the next section of the test.
No, the HESI A2 exam uses artificial intelligence to monitor your exam. You must read the directions on the screen carefully and know the IRSC testing rules (see below). If you need help during your exam, use the chat button in your testing window, or call ProctorU at 1-855-772-8678 immediately. Remember, your entire testing session will be recorded and reviewed by both ProctorU and IRSC.
Note: You will not be prompted by the testing program to complete the following steps, but they are a mandatory testing requirement of Indian River State College and will be recorded during your testing session.
- Using your webcam, complete a room scan of your testing area before starting the test.
- Examinees are permitted 2 pages of blank scratch paper and three pencils.
- Both blank pages (front and back) must be held up in front of the webcam after the screen recording starts and before the test begins.
- After the last question has been answered and submitted, both pages of scrap paper must be torn into small pieces, in full view of the webcam before ending your test session.
- Bathroom breaks are only permitted between sections of the HESI A2 exam.
- Bathroom breaks must not exceed 5 minutes.
- Upon returning from a bathroom break, you must hold up your ID to the webcam again and complete a full room scan before proceeding to the next section of the test.
- A private testing room or area with no distractions or other people is required for the HESI A2 exam. Make sure you have a clear work area (removal of all books, papers, notebooks, calculators, etc. not permitted for this exam), sufficient lighting, and no background noise.
- Please remember, your entire testing session is being recorded (both video and audio), so it is very important that you remain in full view of your webcam and are silent during your test.
- Reading Comprehension – Provides reading scenarios in order to measure reading comprehension, identifying the main idea, finding meaning of words in context, passage comprehension, and making logical inferences.
- Vocabulary and General Knowledge – Contains vocabulary terms that are commonly used in both general English-speaking settings and in health care fields.
- Basic Math – Focuses on math skills needed for health care fields, including basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions, decimals, ratios and proportions, household measures, and general math facts.
- Biology – Covers biology basics, water, biological molecules, metabolism, cells, cellular respiration, and photosynthesis.
- Anatomy and Physiology – Provides coverage of general terminology and anatomical structures and systems.
- Learning Style Inventory – Assesses preferred learning style.
|Sections||Number of Test Items||Alloted Time (Minutes)|
|Vocabulary and General Knowledge||55||50|
|Basic Math Skills||55||50|
|Anatomy and Physiology||30||25|
|Learning Style Assessment||14||15|
HESI A2 scores are valid for one year prior to the deadline date and may be taken only once every application period.
(Note: Only IRSC HESI A2 exam scores are accepted by the Nursing Department. They will not accept HESI A2 scores from other schools.)
You will need to create a ProctorU account for the remote proctoring service, then you will create an Evolve Account and register for the HESI Student Access. Please visit https://www.proctoru.com/portal/elsevier to begin the registration process and learn more about the HESI A2 exam.
(Note: You must use your IRSC email address when creating your ProctorU and Evolve accounts.)
- A desktop computer or laptop (no Goggle Chrome books, iPads, tablets, or cell phones are permitted)
- A working webcam with 1280x720 resolution is recommended (an integrated or external USB device is acceptable)
- A working microphone (an integrated or external USB device is acceptable)
- A stable internet connection (1.5 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload is recommended)
- Google Chrome or Firefox browser
- ProctorU Extension for Google Chrome or Firefox
For additional information concerning the current technical requirements for this exam, please visit https://www.proctoru.com/portal/elsevier
You will need to run two different system checks on your computer or laptop by clicking on the links below.
HESI Systems Check: https://hesi.elsevier.com/systemChecker/index.html verifies your connectivity, operating system and browser for the HESI A2 Exam.
ProctorU’s System Check: https://test-it-out.proctoru.com verifies your camera, microphone, flash, operating system and bandwidth meet the technical requirements for the HESI A2 Exam.
Yes, acceptable forms of a valid photo identification include:
- Current driver license with photo
- Current federal, state, county or municipality-issued ID with photo (includes U.S. Military ID)
- Current Alien Registration Card (Green Card) with photo
- Current Passport with recent photo
- Current U.S. Passport Card
- Current High School ID with photo
- Current Indian River State College Student ID card
Broken, cut, taped or expired IDs are no longer considered valid. Also, an ID printed on paper, photo paper, cardboard, or shown from a mobile device are not acceptable for testing purposes. Please remember, the name on your photo ID must match the name on your IRSC records, your HESI A2 account, and your ProctorU account.
- Use your IRSC email address when setting up both your ProctorU and Evolve accounts.
- Schedule your exam as early as possible. This will give you a buffer, just in case you encounter any technical difficulties. Do not wait for the last day to take your exam!
- Test your computer equipment before exam day. If it does not pass, use the ProctorU Live Chat feature to speak with a support representative to resolve the issues.
- On test day, reboot your computer before logging in to the testing site.
- Having enough internet bandwidth is extremely important when taking this exam. It is strongly recommended that you ask others not to use the network during your testing session, this includes streaming tv, movies, video games or video conferencing.
- Take your test in a private, well lit location that is free from other people and noise. Your desk must be completely cleared of all papers, books, notes, etc. except for your 2 blank sheets of scratch paper and your pencil.
- Have your photo ID and HESI username and password ready. (Remember, your HESI username is not your email address)
- If you need help during your exam, keep the chat box open, it holds your place in line. If you close it and open it again, it moves you to the end of the ProctorU support line.
- Do not read the exam out loud. This will cause your test to be flagged for a testing irregularity.
- After the last question is submitted, remember to tear up your scrap paper into small piece in full view of your webcam.
ProctorU has 3 support options available to help you.
- Login to your ProctorU account and use the Live Chat feature (top right corner of your screen)
- Call the ProctorU Support line at 1-855-722-8678 (24-hour assistance)
- Email email@example.com