New Student Orientation
Attending New Student Orientation (NSO) is an essential next step in the Indian River State College admissions process, and is required for all new and transfer degree-seeking students.
NSO offers a mix of academic, educational, and social programming designed to prepare you for a successful college career. Onboarding leaders will make sure that you feel confident and inspired to begin your IRSC experience. NSO may be completed face-to-face at session hosted on any of our five campuses or may be conducted online.
The sooner you attend orientation, the better. Orientation is an admission requirement and must be completed before you are permitted to register for classes.
NSO is a free, non-credit course. Even if you have taken Dual Enrollment courses at IRSC, you are still considered a first time in college student and must participate in this onboarding course.
Orientation is offered, without charge, on every IRSC campus at various times and day. Reserve your spot at one of these upcoming new student orientation sessions:
- 07/10/2019 - New Student Orientation - Mueller Campus
- 07/11/2019 - New Student Orientation - Dixon Hendry Campus
- 07/16/2019 - New Student Orientation - Chastain Campus
- 07/18/2019 - New Student Orientation - Pruitt Campus
- 07/25/2019 - New Student Orientation - Main Campus
- 07/31/2019 - New Student Orientation - Mueller Campus
- 08/01/2019 - New Student Orientation - Pruitt Campus
- 08/07/2019 - New Student Orientation - Chastain Campus
- 08/08/2019 - New Student Orientation - Main Campus
New Student Orientation is designed to ensure your successful transition into the college environment. Be sure to bring material to take notes, and come with all the questions that you need answered. Plan to attend the entire session—about 5.5 hours—in order to receive credit for attending. Partial attendance and arriving late will not count as completion for the face-to-face session. If you do not complete orientation, you will not be permitted to register for classes at IRSC.
Online orientation (OR10003) will be available through the Blackboard virtual learning environment within 24 hours after you register. It is conducted through a series of video modules and a final exam. On average, online orientation takes two hours. If you do not complete orientation, you will not be permitted to register for classes at IRSC.
Steps to Begin New Student Orientation Online:
- Login to MyPioneerPortal and select Blackboard.
- Once you login, locate My Courses and select ORI0003-XXXXXX ORIENTATION-INTERNET.
- Select Content on left course control panel.
- Start the course by watching the President’s Welcome Video. Then, select each module, in the order it is presented. When you complete the first module, complete the review, return to Content and the next module will be available for completion.
- At the end of each module, you will find a review. You should answer each question by clicking on the answer you consider correct, and then click on “Submit.” No matter how much you score in each review, your submission will release the content for next presentation.
- There are 13 modules in this course. At the end of the last module, please take the Course Evaluation survey and then respond to the completion question to complete this course.
You may also contact the Information Call Center toll-free at 866-792-4772 to register for New Student Orientation.